A Brief Overview of Blown-In Fiberglass Attic Insulation
Insulating your home is a great way to reduce heating and cooling energy expenses and maintain a comfortable living temperature. Because most of your home’s heating energy is lost through the attic, this is an especially important place to keep insulated. One way to do so is with blown-in fiberglass insulation. To learn more about this beneficial home upgrade, consult this brief overview of blown-in fiberglass attic insulation.
The method: blown-in
To install blown-in insulation in an attic, an installation crew of two professionals is required. Using specialized pneumatic equipment, one professional will blow strands of fiberglass around the area through a hose. The fiberglass insulation will then settle into the attic’s cavities and hard-to-reach areas until a thick layer of insulation completely covers the space. The other member of the installation team will simultaneously operate the blower unit from outside the house. Such operations will involve feeding insulation into the hopper and controlling the air mixture to ensure that the hose functions correctly.
The material: fiberglass
Fiberglass is a man-made material that is created by pulling strands of glass into thin fibers, which are then used to fortify plastic filaments. This material is an effective form of insulation, as the glass reduces the flow of heat, cold, and even sound through an area. Currently, fiberglass is the most common insulation type due to its many benefits.
Benefits of blown-in fiberglass insulation
- Flame- and mold-resistant: Because fiberglass doesn’t burn or absorb water, it is resistant to both flame and mold
- Cost: Fiberglass is an inexpensive form of insulation
- Full-coverage: The blown-in method allows insulation material to be distributed to hard-to-reach gaps and spaces which are commonly found in attics
- Formaldehyde-free: Blown-in fiberglass insulation is free of formaldehyde, a chemical that is known to cause eye, nose, and throat irritation
- Efficiency: Blown-in fiberglass insulation is a quick and efficient method. Often, such insulation can be successfully installed by a professional in just a few hours
If you’re interested in installing blown-in fiberglass insulation, Paragon Protection can help. As a leading insulation installation company in the Chicagoland area, we’re committed to providing unbeatable service at a fair price. For more information regarding our products and services, contact us today.